Monday, July 6, 2009

CR9 ~ Press Meet ~ Transcript



What position would you like to play in?
I haven’t always played as a striker. I prefer to play down the wing, but I wouldn’t mind playing as a striker.

What word defines your presentation day?
Impressive.

Is it going to be hard for you to sleep today?
I’m sure I’ll sleep well. I’m tired.

What did you think of when you saw 80,000 people at the stadium?
It was a beautiful sensation. I loved it. I didn’t expect the stadium to be full. This is a dream come true. I thought of my parents. I felt the fans are fond of me already. I want to pay them back for that. I know I’ll feel more pressure here than at Manchester United, but I have faith in myself and I am ambitious. I want the league to begin to do my absolute best.

What would you like to say to the people at Manchester United?
I think about my former team-mates and bosses. I had a great relationship with them for six years. My team-mates respect my decision. Real Madrid is a dream and a great challenge to me. This is my new home and I will give 100% for this shirt.

What did Di Stefano say to you?
It was very special to meet him. He is a legend. It was the same as meeting Bobby Charlton at Manchester United. He wished me luck. I am very grateful to him. It was one of the best moments of my life.

What do you think of the money your transfer has cost?
I’ve always said a club must pay a lot of money to get the best players. I want to prove that they made the right decision. I understand many of the comments that have been made, but I’m happy for being the most expensive player in the Club’s history. It makes me feel proud.

Did you think about how hard it’s been for you to get here when you entered the dressing room?
Yes. To play for Real Madrid was my life’s ambition. I wanted to change clubs and this is the one I regard to be the best. It is special to kiss this shirt for the first time. I felt special emotions.

Will you make Real Madrid win the European Cup again?
I won’t play alone. I will be part of the team and I will do my best to help it win the Champions League. We have a great team and a great coach. We will take things slowly at first and then we’ll think about the Champions League. We have to do a good job.

How many goals do you think you’ll score this year?
I will try to adapt as quickly as possible. The goals will come later.

Did you notice the Portuguese flags on the stands?
It’s always nice to see your country’s colours in a foreign country. I also noticed flags from Madeira and it made me feel proud. My next challenge is to be the best again, to help the Club win titles and show that the money spent on me was worth it.

How was your farewell with Ferguson like?
It was very good. My relationship with him always was and will always be very good. I spoke to him in Manchester. Life goes on.

What do you know about Pellegrini?
I’ve heard many good things about him. He must be good because he is at Real Madrid. Villarreal always made things hard for us when we faced them. It will be a pleasure to work with him. He will try to do his best, the same as me. I hope we win many titles together.

Why wasn’t your mother at the presentation?
She missed it for personal reasons. She is watching it on the TV. She is very proud and probably crying.

What do you think of Ribery?
He is a good player. I know him and I’ve watched him play on several occasions, but my job is to play football, not to comment on other players.

Has Florentino Perez been decisive in your signing?
I’ve read many things about myself in the press. They shoot, but miss a lot. The fact is I am at Real Madrid. That’s what counts.

Are you sad for losing the number ‘7’ shirt?
I wanted number ‘7’ because it is a legendary number at Real Madrid. But I like number ‘9’. Numbers don’t play. I will try to play as I’ve done until now, regardless of the number. It is I who plays and I think I will do so well.

Have you spoken to the friends you have on the team?
I’ve spoken to Pepe, Heinze and Di Salvo. They all congratulated me. We’ve been friends for years. I’m sure I will make many more friends at Real Madrid.

Are you especially excited about playing with one particular footballer?
I’ve always wanted to play for Real Madrid. The best in the world play here. They are all important and that’s why I’m not especially excited about playing with one in particular. They are all here for a reason. New team-mates, new team, new championship... This is very exciting.

Do you think you’ve arrived one year late?
No. I think we made the right decision. I wanted to win the Premier League and we reached the Champions League final. I am happy with the season I had last year.

Do you know what the Cibeles is?
I do. That’s where the team celebrates winning its titles. I would love to go there.

What do you think of the current squad?
It has great players. I'm sure we'll all pull in the same direction to win titles. It will be hard for Pellegrini to choose the starting line-ups. I am proud of the team-mates I'm going to have. I hope we're lucky.


It's an ambition of mine, but two titles would also be nice: La Liga and the Champions League. We must work hard and build an organised team before thinking about important stuff like that. This team, its coach, the structure of the Club, our ambition and hard work will all give us chances of achieving great things.

Do you think defeating Barcelona will serve as revenge?
No. I don't believe in revenge. I want to defeat them both at home and away.

What makes La Liga and the Premiership different?
The Premiership is faster and La Liga is more competitive, especially when it comes down to smaller teams.

What did you think of the Bernabeu?
I had never felt anything like this before. It was a nice first impression. It was very special.

How will your relationship with Kaka be like?
It wiill be good. He'll say the same thing. We will be good friends.

What do you think of Benzema?
He is a very good player and a great signing. He will meet with the expectation that's been generated. It will be nice to play with him. He will adapt very well to the team. He still has a lot to learn, like me. He will have a lot of fun.

Is La Liga better than the Premiership?
It is more competitive. They are the best league tournaments in the world. They have the best players.

What do you know of the current Real Madrid squad?
I know it is a fantastic group of people and that they are all very open. There won't be any trouble. I've never caused trouble and i'm not about to start now.

How would you convince a child to start supporting Real Madrid?
It's not easy. Real Madrid is special. Barcelona is a great club, but Real Madrid is special. I could tell kids not to give up their dreams and to continue learning, not imitating. They should have personality and fight for their dreams.


Which is the league game you are most anxious to play?
All of them. Every player likes to be in a great game, like the Clasico with Barcelona, but I actually have no preference. I want to play and win them all.

Have you spoken to Pellegrini yet?
I haven't had the chance. I know his methods are good and that he listens to players. It will be a pleasure to play with him.

What do you prefer, spectacular football or winning games?
The important thing is to take points. The team with the most points wins in the end. It is even better if it does this with spectacle.

How do you disconnect from everything that surrounds you?
I watch television at home.

Do you have any fears?
No. I only fear death, like everyone else.

Have you spoken to Luis Figo?
He always spoke very well of Real Madrid. He used to tell me I should sign for the Club. I would like to win even more titles than he did.

Do you think you could win the Ballon d''Or again this year?
I'm not worried about that. I just want to have a good season and have a good start to the league. Individual awards are important, but they aren't the most important thing.

Would you like to play against ManU?
They were very good to me. Ferguson jokingly said to me that ManU would destroy us in a final. We've always had a great relationship and I wish him all the best.

Would you like to take set pieces?
The coach should decide that, but I would like to.

Are Real Madrid favourites to win La Liga?
We'll see that at the end of the campaign. We'll have options to win the title and so will Barcelona. But there are other teams too. I hope we are the best.

Who is the best player in the world?
Real Madrid.
Locations of visitors to this page

No comments: